Stay up to date to all the national news involving The First Tee and in the world of Golf.
This page will be updated every Monday.
Week of December 31st, 2018
Around the Network
Houston City Council Will Consider $13.5 Million Memorial Park Golf Course Renovation Funded By Astros Golf Foundation
By Olivia Pulsinelli, Houston Business Journal
The Houston City Council will consider a request on Jan. 2, 2019 for approval of a $13.5 million Memorial Park Golf Course redevelopment plan funded by the Astros Golf Foundation and supported by the Memorial Park Conservancy. The proposed redevelopment would meet the standards required by the PGA Tour. The planned re-opening is Fall 2019. The project calls for the construction of a two-story driving range, a new and relocated maintenance facility, and a short course for the First Tee; these will all begin at the same time as the golf-course renovation but may be completed after the course re-opens.
Winter Programs at The First Tee of the Coachella Valley
KESQ (ABC Palm Springs, CA)
Registration is now open for winter programs at The First Tee of the Coachella Valley. Classes are 8-week sessions where youth learn Nine Core Values through the game of golf.
First Tee of Canton Core Value Awards Banquet set for Jan. 10
The third annual First Tee of Canton Core Value Awards Banquet presented by the Massillon/North Canton Elks 2029 is Jan. 10 at Arrowhead Golf Club. Doors open at 5 p.m. Each year, First Tee of Canton honors participants that progress to the next level in the Life Skills Experience.
Inaugural NOVA Home Loans Match Play Championship a Success with First Tee Program
The NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl Match Play Championship last Friday at El Rio Golf Course was a success showcasing Tucson’s youth who are part of the First Tee Program. The kids involved with the program represented the football teams (Arkansas State and Nevada) involved with Saturday’s game at Arizona Stadium. No other bowl game has such an event.
Pace senior Elise Schultz ends junior golf year with another tournament win
By Bill Vilona, Pensacola News Journal
Pace High senior Elise Schultz ended the golf year with another win. Schultz, 17, the 2018 News Journal high school girls player of the year, won the 25th annual Tom Dorsey Winter Classic, the final event on the First Tee of Northwest Florida yearly tournament calendar.
Golf Tournament Raises Money for The First Tee of South Dakota
KCLO (CBS Rapid City, SD)
A local golf tournament raised money for The First Tee of South Dakota in memory of Gavin Vanzee.
2019 Web.com Tour season: What to watch for
Adam Stanley, PGATOUR.com
- The Web.com Tour season kicks off on Sunday, January 13 with The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic at Sandals Emerald Bay. The tournament will launch a 27-event schedule that features four new events and 19 straight tournaments to round out the season.
- Players to watch this year include 2018 Haskins Award winner Norman Xiong,2017 NCAA Champion Braden Thornberry and Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada Order of Merit winner Tyler McCumber.
PGA TOUR to experiment with interviews during the round
Doug Ferguson, Associated Press
- In another effort to connect players with television viewers, the PGA TOUR will experiment with in-round interviews with players at the Sentry Tournament of Champions.
- Such interviews are not likely to occur in the final round, and PGA TOUR officials are sensitive to the timing of the interviews. The willingness to take part depends on the player.
- In the article, players who are receptive to the idea include Brooks Koepka and Marc Leishman, who has experience doing on-course interviews when he plays in Australia. Conversely, Justin Thomas and Rory McIlroy said they aren’t likely to be among the candidates.
Making sense of golf’s new rules
- As the calendar turned to 2019, the USGA and the R&A enacted changes to the Rules of Golf, including 37 new rules.
- The long-form article is an overview of the changes, including diagrams and videos for illustration.