In 1909, a small group of Jenkintown residents, many of who were Quakers, began meeting to discuss forming a local golf club. On Feb. 17, 1910, the first officially recorded meeting of this new Club was held and a group of seven men were empowered to obtain an option on 67 acres of land, on Old York Road in Jenkintown, from Abington Friends Meeting. Buttonholing their friends and acquaintances in Jenkintown, Wyncote, Ogontz, Glenside, Melrose, Elkins Park and Oak Lane, the group committed to the formation of a club that would include a nine-hole, 3,000-yard golf course, designed by Jimmy Lang, the former professional at Huntingdon Valley Country Club.
Measuring 6,600 yards from the back tees, the Gordons created a great walking course that is a demanding test of golf. Length is not the challenge. The course difficulty lies in hitting precise approach shots and putting the fast, severely sloped, undulating greens.
HOW TO REGISTER
- Click here to “LOG IN” or create an account
- Register your student as a First Tee Participant by clicking “For Participant” and then the orange button “add a participant”
- Select your desired location. Click “view more info” on the pop-up.
- Select your class(es)! If you do not see any classes available, this is because there are age and/or level restrictions. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Complete the checkout process: sign all waivers, answer the questions, and pay/request financial aid to officially enroll in the class(es).